Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Coach's Profiles: Jeff Pedersen

Throughout the season we profiled each of our 14 senior players and now that we've entered the off-season, it's time to meet each member of our coaching staff. We'll spotlight one coach each week leading up until Christmas, proceeding, as we did with the seniors, in alphabetical order.

Next up is defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, Jeff Pedersen!


Name: Jeff Pedersen
Hometown: Kremmling, CO
Alma Mater: Grinnell College '02
Family: Wife - Jordan Esbrook '01, daughter - Frances Belle Pedersen, 10 months
Position/Title at Grinnell: Defensive Coordinator, Fitness Center Director, Interim Head Women's Track and Field Coach

What brought you to Grinnell?
As a student I chose Grinnell because of the great education they offered, as well as the chance to play two sports. I was also excited about the opportunity to contribute right away. I knew I would be getting on the field at least for special teams, as a freshman. As a coach, the opportunity to come back to my alma mater was very exciting. Also, as a student here I really enjoyed not only the campus but the town of Grinnell as well. It was a great place for me as a student and it is going to be a great place for me to raise a family.

What do you enjoy about coaching at Grinnell?
I still love the competitive aspect of athletics. It is much different as a coach than it was as a player, but it is definitely still there. I also love the relationships with the players. I love getting to know the guys and hopefully having a positive impact on them. Most times I hope they learn as much from me as I do from them.

What is your favorite memory here at Grinnell?
I'm going to cheat on this question! As a player, my favorite memory of one specific time was clinching the conference championship with a victory over Lawrence my freshman year. I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time, I didn't know how much it really meant and how hard it really is to win the conference championship. My other favorite memory of playing at Grinnell are the friendships I made with my teammates. There are too many to mention them all, but I was lucky enough to play with a few of my high school teammates and my brother, so that was very special to me. As a coach, we won my first game as an offensive coordinator with a pretty dramatic comeback. We beat Ripon, who has traditionally been a very good team, with a 93 yard scoring drive, scoring with about 30 seconds left in the game. I can still remember pretty much every play of that drive, especially the first play which should have been an interception to end the game!

Why did you choose your alma mater? What drew you there?
See above.

How would you describe yourself as a coach?
A few years back I read the Dean Smith biography "The Carolina Way". In it Smith outlined his philosophy of "play hard, play smart, play together". That really struck a chord with me, as it put words to how I had always approached the game as a player. So, I have adopted that philosophy as my own as a coach. I feel like it is the coach's responsibility to make sure that the team plays smart, that is the responsibility of the players to make sure they play hard, and that it is the responsibility of everyone associated with the program to make sure that we play together. I like to take this same approach to every aspect of the program, from lifting weights to recruiting, whatever it may be.

Favorite movie: "Spies Like Us" or "The Princess Bride"

Favorite book: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Favorite food(s): Duck with wine and blue cheese sauce

Favorite travel location: I love going back home to visit my family in Colorado. Also, though I've only been there once, the Outer Banks in North Carolina were amazing.

Hobbies and Interests: Hunting and fishing are my biggest hobbies. I also love watching the Cubs.

List at least one random or interesting fact about you: My grandfather Leo changed the spelling of our family name from Peterson to Pedersen during World War II. There were quite a few Peterson's stationed near him and he wanted to make sure he stood out. My name has been spelled wrong a countless number of times, but it always reminds me of him every time.