Monday, December 28, 2009

Coach Profiles: Cody Robertson

Throughout the season we profiled each of our 14 senior players and now that we've entered the off-season, it's time to meet each member of our coaching staff. We'll spotlight one coach each week, proceeding, as we did with the seniors, in alphabetical order.

Next up is offensive line coach, Cody Robertson!


Name: Cody Robertson
Hometown: Lafayette, CO
Alma Mater: Colorado College
Family: Dad (Greg), Mom (Kathy Jo), Step-Dad (Andy)
Position/Title at Grinnell: Assistant Football Coach, Offensive Line

What brought you to Grinnell?
I had the opportunity to coach in a system I was familiar with, having played for Coach Hawsey. I also love being involved with a program that is trying to create a new winning tradition.

What do you enjoy about coaching at Grinnell?
My greatest joy comes from working with the players. The things they accomplish here at Grinnell simply amaze me.

What is your favorite memory here at Grinnell?
Our victory this past year vs. Lawrence. After a tough start to the year, we came out as a team and played a complete football game. The big smiles all the players had on their faces after the game was very rewarding!

Why did you choose your alma mater? What drew you there?
CC offered me the two things I was looking for in a school: the opportunity to play football and a unique academic experience in the Block Plan. I also was energized by the chance to build a program into a winner.

How would you describe yourself as a coach?
I believe that a coach's true goal is to get players to accomplish something they didn't know they could accomplish before they started.

Favorite movie: It's probably a tie between Die Hard, The Searchers, and Bloodsport

Favorite book: Wild at Heartby John Elderage

Favorite food(s): I love all kinds of food

Favorite travel location: Texas, it has a little bit of everything

Hobbies and Interests: Hunting, music/concerts, reading, watching The Office, working out

List at least one random or interesting fact about you: I was the Geography Bee Champion of my school in 8th grade and I still believe that one day Wile E. Coyote will catch the Road Runner