Friday, December 4, 2009

Coach Profiles: Max Hawsey

Throughout the season we profiled each of our 14 senior players and now that we've entered the off-season, it's time to meet each member of our coaching staff. We'll spotlight one coach each week leading up until Christmas, proceeding, as we did with the seniors, in alphabetical order.

Next up is me-head coach, offensive coordinator, and quarterbacks coach.

Name: Max Hawsey
Hometown: Elysian Fields TX

Birthplace: Monroe LA

Alma Mater: Austin College, Sherman TX

Family: Wife- Sara Townsend, 3 kids: Marion- 6; Hunter-4; Natalie-2

Position/Title at Grinnell: Head Football Coach/Strength and Conditioning Coordinator


What brought you to Grinnell? Opportunity to be the head coach at one of the most recognized liberal arts college in the nation and rebuild the football program at a place that has all the ingredients to compete for a MWC championship- one of the best athletic facilities in the nation, unbelievable academic resources and great people!


What do you enjoy about coaching at Grinnell? The players! We have extraordinary young men on this football team who come from all over the nation and have very diverse backgrounds. Each player is unique in his own way and I enjoy the day to day interaction with our players because of this.


What is your favorite memory here at Grinnell? It has to be our game at Lawrence in 2008. The second half was unbelievable. We kept getting interception after interception (6 total for the game). The whole trip was a great experience especially on the way home after a big WIN!


Why did you choose your alma mater? What drew you there? I looked at colleges in Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas. I chose Austin College because it was the best academic school I got admitted into. I liked the fact that it was a small private liberal arts college and that I would get a chance to PLAY a lot of football and not stand on the sideline for a few years. I really liked the coaches as well- Mel Tjeersdma (currently at Northwest Missouri State) was the head coach at the time- he was great. Two assistant coaches at the time- Vance Morris and David Norman- were very personable and showed me they truly cared about me both as a person and a football player.


How would you describe yourself as a coach? I’d like to think of myself as a teacher of the game of football and I always try to relate football to lessons in life. I take a very competitive, no nonsense yet personable approach to coaching. Discipline, attention to detail and hard work are virtues I try to instill in the players. I think there’s an appropriate time to give players a pat in the back and also a time to coach them hard.

As far as my style of coaching football, I want to be fundamentally sound, at times unconventional, and aggressive. I believe in blocking, tackling, taking care of the football on offense, and getting turnovers on defense. I believe in mental and physical toughness, but at the same time making football an enjoyable experience. I like to be creative and unconventional in all three phases- it keeps it fun for the players.


Favorite D1 college team: I’m a huge LSU fan!


Favorite NFL team: Saints- finally a good year to be a Saints fan!


Favorite movie: I have a lot of them, but I’d have to say Indiana Jones- Raiders of the Lost Ark. Pretty much anything with Harrison Ford or Denzel Washington.


Favorite book: I don’t really have one favorite- I do like reading coaches autobiographies. I’ve read books on Lou Holtz, Tom Osborne, Urban Meyer, and Mike Shanahan to name a few.


Favorite food(s): It’s definitely sea food. I really love fried shrimp! Although I also love southern biscuits and gravy for breakfast! You can’t go wrong with beans, rice and cornbread either!


Favorite Travel location: There are a number of them- I really loved Colorado (lived there 5 years). Also Charleston, South Carolina (my wife is from South Carolina), but I really had a great experience at my wife’s family reunion in Washington in a town called Sequim near Seattle. It was a memorable experience.


Hobbies and Interests: Outside of coaching, I don’t have a lot of time for much other than spending time with my family. I enjoy playing with my three kids. I love to watch movies with my wife. I like being outdoors, and working out. I’m sort of a car guy- I owned a 1966 Buick in high school and college- it was pretty sweet!


List at least one random or interesting fact about you: I’m a distant cousin to John David Crow- the 1957 Heisman trophy winner at Texas A & M. My older brother- Rex Hawsey is the chief of police in Waskom TX. My daughter, Marion, beat me 17 out of 18 times at the card game "Memory Match" over Thanksgiving weekend!