Wednesday, October 5, 2011

National Hispanic Heritage Month Featuring Nick Hinojosa '13!

 Grinnell Athletics is proud to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month and the diversity of those in the Hispanic community at Grinnell College. Each Wednesday throughout the celebratory month, the Grinnell Athletics website will feature a Q&A with a Hispanic student-athlete. The national celebration spans September 15 – October 15 annually.


This week’s feature is on Nick Hinojosa ‘13, a football player and an art history major:

Q: What first got you interested in your sport(s)?
A: My dad’s passion for the game rubbed off on me at an early age. I was playing three sports at a very young age and I loved every moment of it. It was a way for me to connect to my pops and make a lot of friends.

Q: Besides your sport(s), what other activities do you enjoy?
A: I love writing and recording music. I hope to start working on a mixtape once the season is over.

Q: As a current student-athlete at Grinnell, what advice would you give to prospective students who are interested in participating in varsity athletics at the collegiate level?
A: Learn to manage your time and be ready to compete.

Q: Talk about your typical day while you’re in season – what does your schedule look like?
A: Mainly classes in the morning and afternoon, practice early evening, then homework, and lastly relax with some friends.

Q: How do you get focused and/or hyped before a game?
A: First thing I do is get into the Bible and read a few verses and of course listen to some music which gets me hyped.

Nick Hinojosa '13 heads downfield in 2011

Q: What is your favorite part about being a Pioneer athlete?

A: The facilities are great along with the the staff and everybody is supportive in our community.

Q: What is your favorite music genre?
A: Hip- hop (Curren$y, J. Cole, Dom Kennedy)

Q: What are your favorite food and your favorite D-Hall entrée?
A: I usually go for the pasta or get creative with some type sandwich. And cereal is on point, cinnamon toast crunch all day.

Q: Hispanic/Latino/a culture comprises more than 20 countries/nationalities and numerous ethnicities, how would you describe your Hispanic/Latino/a identity?
A: Mexican

Q: What does your Hispanic/Latino/a heritage mean to you?
A: It’s a part of who I am. It’s something that I am proud of and it’s giving me my own swagger. My heritage allowed me to have a unique upbringing that has made me into the person I am today.