Monday, September 21, 2009

Senior Profiles: Fernando "Fonz" Jenkins

Throughout the season we will run profiles on each of our 14 senior players. We've asked them to tell us why they chose to attend Grinnell, what their favorite moment as a Pioneer football player was, among other fun facts. Please enjoy getting to know a little more about these guys before they graduate this spring!

Next up, is senior cornerback, Fonz Jenkins!


Name: Fernando "Fonz" Jenkins
Hometown: Little Rock, Arkansas
Major: Political Science

Why did you choose to attend Grinnell?
I chose Grinnell because of its rich tradition of excellence with regards to academic rigor. I didn't even visit Grinnell, but knew right away that it was the best fit for me due to its strong emphasis on diversity and moral obligation to social justice.

What is your favorite Pioneer football moment?
My favorite Grinnell football moment was when I recorded my first career interception against St. Norbert on our home field. (But the funniest moment was when I had to push a sled for teaching my controversial class.)

What are your career ambitions and/or future plans?
Well I have many aspirations and ambitions in life. My dream career would involve being a professional actor. I want to obtain levels of stardom relative to Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Jamie Foxx, etc. If that doesn't work out, I'll most likely become a lawyer or run my own business dealing some steel with Cutco. I also enjoy political life and might become the first African-American governor of Arkansas or better yet, the second African-American president of the United States. There is no limit to the possibilities!

Favorite Professional Team: I love the Cincinnati Bengals! How could that be huh? Well, actually one of the player's parents for the Bengals (Steve Foley) lived right next to me! Foley would come back and throw big block parties and do a lot of community building activities. I also love the Trail Blazers. My love for them came from Sega Dreamcast. My favorite baseball team is the White Sox and my hockey team is the Red Wings (just kidding, I don't know the first thing about hockey :)

Favorite Division I team: ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS! WHOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!

Favorite Song: Heaven by Jamie Foxx

Favorite Food: Neck bones, ham hocks, greens, sweet potatoes, chicken and dumplings, corn bread, cabbage, anything on the pig, and ox tails...etc.

Favorite Movie: Hitch

Favorite Book: The Poisonwood Bible

Favorite Course at Grinnell: Political Theory and Transnational legal institutions, and Pluralist Systems: Comparative European Politics

Other hobbies: I'm also on the debate team. I like to travel. I pole vault and long jump. I run a college radio show on Sundays from 8-10 entitled "The Pioneer Power Hour" hosted by your boy DJ Fonzie and DJ Maxx blazin the one's and two's on KDIC 88.5. Also streaming live at www.kdic.grinnell.edu. I'm a senator for my residential cluster and actively participate in Student Government. I also enjoy fishin and chillin. I sell knives too! (Cutco) I also enjoy long walks on the beach under the beautiful beams of the moon while playing my piccolo and reminiscing on the 4 glorious years I've spent in a little town called Grinnell.