Friday, November 4, 2011

2011 Senior Profiles: Brian Westerlind

Each week this season we will highlight a member of our 2011 senior class, and last but not least is senior defensive end, Brian Westerlind!


Name: Brian Westerlind
Hometown: Aspen, CO
High School: Aspen High School
Major:  Biology/Pre-Med

Why did you choose to attend Grinnell?
I came on a visit for the academics and football game against St Norbert back in 2008, having heard very little about Grinnell. I fell in love Grinnell immediately, bringing me to apply early decision and make my choice

What is your favorite Pioneer football moment?
Beating Monmouth at Monmouth our junior year who was ranked 14th preseason.

Plans after graduation?
Medical School, and eventually be a Orthopedic Surgeon, fixing all the injuries my teamates and I have sustained through the years... well maybe not myself, i fear that may be unethical.

Favorite Professional Sports Team:
Denver Broncos! Especially when they are winning back to back Superbowls

Favorite Division I team:
Colorado Buffaloes Football, especially remembering back when we beat Nebraska bad during thanksgiving when their Heisman winner didn't stop us from stomping them. 

Favorite Song/Book/Movie/Food:
While having many songs I am a fan of from a variety of genres, my favorite book may be Deception Point. My favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption, gotta love Morgan Freeman. For food I enjoy a plethora of meals, however who doesn't enjoy a good juicy half lb burger with a tomato thinly sliced with a toasted bun and melted cheddar cheese on top... dill pickle spear on the side, with a big plate of perfect sweet potato fries spiced with a hint of ginger and allspice, all with a side of ranch of course. 

Favorite Course at Grinnell
Animal Physiology was quite interesting and I enjoyed it despite being quite difficult. 

Interesting facts about you:
I enjoy long walks on the beach during sunset, a nice glass of wine, fine art... but seriously, Hiking, biking, the mountains! (mountains of colorado of course), and just doing amazing things and seeing beautiful sights! Life is fun!