Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Senior Profiles: Curtis McCoy

Throughout the season we will run profiles on each of our 14 senior players. We've asked them to tell us why they chose to attend Grinnell, what their favorite moment as a Pioneer football player was, among other fun facts. Please enjoy getting to know a little more about these guys before they graduate this spring!

Next up, is senior defensive end, Curtis McCoy!


Name: Curtis McCoy
Hometown: Lake Forest, IL
Major: Biology with an Environmental Studies concentration

Why did you choose to attend Grinnell?
I wanted a small college where I could get to know people, but I also wanted a break from the homogeneity of Lake Forest, IL; when I came to visit it just felt right.

What is your favorite Pioneer football moment?
My freshman year (2006) beating Knox College 35-34 with the help of a 30 yard pass from Sean Pfalzer to Todd Doleshal for a two-point conversion and some clutch kicking from our newly recruited, Grinnell soccer player turned Grinnell football player, Scott Koenning.

What are your career ambitions and/or future plans?
After graduating from Grinnell, I plan to take some time off to go abroad, possibly in the Peace Corps, before attending graduate school likely in Environmental Science/Environmental Public Policy.

Favorite Professional Team: Chicago Cubs and Chicago Bears

Favorite Division I team: University of Notre Dame Fightin' Irish -- GO IRISH!!

Favorite Song: That's a really tough one. Since I like so many different types of music, it really depends on the day. If I had to chose one, I would probably go with Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter, especially the live version.

Favorite Food: A well-seasoned New York Strip Steak with mashed potatoes

Favorite Movie: Rudy

Favorite Book: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Favorite Course at Grinnell: A tie between Aquatic Biology with Peter Jacobson and Organic Chemistry II - Lab with James Lindberg.... But seriously you do some really interesting things in these courses.

Other hobbies: I'm a member of the campus environmental group, FTP. I throw discus on the Grinnell Track & Field team. I really enjoy watching movies and listening to music. I always enjoy watching Seinfeld, the greatest show ever...own every season. I also enjoy reading, mostly non-fiction, novels.