Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Grinnell College Reunion and Scarlet & Give Back Day - Update


Grinnell College hosted the second annual Scarlet & Give Back day this past April, and it was a huge success.  With over 3,300 unique donors giving close to $285,000, and one generous (and anonymous) alum making good on the challenge they issued, the College brought in close to $1.4 million in one day!

I mention these gifts today for two reasons.  First, because our annual alumni reunion kicks off tomorrow, and my class is one of those invited back to campus.  We are part of the 15 year cluster ('00, '01, and '02), and my wife and I will likely both have many classmates and friends on campus this weekend.  My summer camp season actually kicks off tomorrow as well, so I'll miss the festivities, but the people of Grinnell are truly what separates us from other schools.  We come from across the globe to central Iowa for a world class education, and we end up forming lifelong friendships in the process.  It's always great to reconnect with old friends at reunion, but Grinnellians find a way to stay connected on a daily basis by giving back in a number of ways.  The Scarlet & Give Back numbers are one indicator of this.

I also mention it because I've recently gotten the numbers back for football in specific.  Alums are asked to give to the College in any way they see fit, and the football team benefited nicely in the form of designated gifts.  Twenty-eight alums gave a total of $3771 in one day!  Immediately following the campaign, we received another donation of $3000.  These donations will go directly towards making our student-athlete experience better, and for that we're very grateful.

Thanks so much to those who give of their money, but also to those who give in other ways.  As the head coach of the Pioneers, I truly feel great support from our alums, and I know I can count on continued support.  Thank you all!