Monday, April 15, 2013

Max Keller Abroad in Australia!


This spring we'll be bringing you posts from a few Pioneers that are studying abroad this semester.  Defensive back Max Keller '14 is currently in Melbourne, Australia and this is his second installation.


In an Art History paper I completed recently I wrote, “This would beget the question, why would a representation of the sacrament in a Last Supper not function as a representation of the sacrament in a monastic dining room?” Then I thought to myself, “This would beget the question as to whether or not I knew what the hell I was talking about?” This final line of questioning seemed the more logical to me for a couple of reasons. One being, that I am pursing a Biological-Chemistry major with a concentration in Environmental Studies. Lastly, and most importantly, I was only a four hour flight from Cairns, Australia. This would be the start of a twelve day, ~ 4,000 kilometer (2,500 miles) excursion from the northern end of Australia to Sydney’s port.  


Seeing the Great Barrier Reef is a dream shared by many. It is the equivalent of a six year old boy dreaming to be a fireman, a four year old girl a princess, or vice versa. But even my six year old self who can fondly remember the excitement of climbing into a Fire Truck, couldn’t prepare me for this. After a sleepless night full of anticipation and excitement I was snorkeling and scuba diving along the interior edge of the reef. Within twenty minutes I had exhausted myself chasing countless fish and inhaling more ocean water than air. Being both stubborn and enthusiastic I forced myself to stay out, drifting more than swimming, yet enjoying the wonders and intricacies of life below the surface.


            
People often use the metaphor “it left me speechless”. Until this trip I do not believe I’ve ever had the privilege of being ‘left speechless’. Whether it was hiking through Mossman Gorge, plunging into the icy water beneath a waterfall, or watching a friend struggle with traveling along the left hand side of the road; I was often ‘speechless’. Things I will save for another time however. For now I would like to share one of my more memorable experiences from the trip. 

One night we came upon a camp site along the beach just before dusk. I asked the campers where the head office was and they pointed me in the direction of a small camper. Soon enough I found myself looking into the camper observing a small card table; holding a pack of cigarettes, an ash tray, a box of wine (called ‘goon’ here), and an older lady sitting behind it. Poking my head inside, afraid I would soon be checking for a pulse, I asked how much for a site? She replied, “For you, six dollars per person”. Luckily being speechless wasn’t a trend throughout the entire trip. Quickly walking a fine line between flirtatious and friendly, I coaxed camp fire privileges from her in addition to her spare lighter. That night we enjoyed a fire on the beech beneath a palm tree; fed by driftwood and coconut husk. I was left speechless. As I crawled into my sleeping bag that night, the campers next to us began playing the song Springsteen. And for a moment I was back home in Minnesota, but perfectly happy to be where I was currently at.