Monday, March 18, 2013

Jeremy Wiles Continues Adventures in Denmark!


This spring we'll be bringing you posts from a few Pioneers that are studying abroad this semester.  Linebacker Jeremy Wiles '14 is currently in Copenhagen, Denmark and this is his second installation:


          The last few weeks have been quite interesting. Part of this experience has me playing two roles. One is experiencing Copenhagen as a Tourist and the other is experiencing København as someone who is living here, aka a Local. I know it’s hard to think that a place can possible feel at home in matter of months but I am pretty good at getting comfortable and feeling at home in a new environment. So the adventure continues…

OHSO Tourist:
        During my early March Study break I was accompanied by my fellow GC Pioneer Footballer , Jayson Campos, to see the places around Copenhagen that were deemed good for tourists. This meant asking our American and Dane friends, navigating through tourist maps and getting immersed/lost  in the city but we managed to see some headliners like: The Little Mermaid statue,  The Botanical Gardens, The David’s Collection and the National Museum for Art (Stutens Musem for Kunst).  I mention these top places because they’re all worth seeing more than once, except the mermaid. That one is worth the one great time you check it out, take pictures and look at the other wonder fully epic statutes around it. The National Museum of Art was all 3 hours spent awe struck stumbling through Nordic and European art from 1300-1900 some of which were from my  favs Titian, Rubens, Rembrandt. Shout out to Grinnell into to art class for the refined taste.  Another must see is the The David Collection which does offer some European art but it’s claim to OHSO fame is the absolutely amazing collection of Islamic Art collection hidden there. The two places were a good mix and  the experience  was even more solid given the scenic walk through the Rosenberg Castle to get in between the two.
        There are plenty of castles but I’ll save that for a later post. The most memorable experience I had was walking up the golden steps of a spiral staircase a top the Church of Our Savior located in Christianhavn ( a district in København). The Church by itself has a decadent and completely astonishing interior design and two colossal elephants that seemingly hold up at wooden, super organ.  If you don’t know already I got a thing for elephants. They’re just too cool for school.
         Don’t forget the Shawarma and weinerbro. Most of these places where accompanied with a street hot dog, pastries filled with love or a fat shawarma from the one and only BURGER HOUSE located in Amager. They deserve a shout out because they honestly have the biggest shawarma in Copenhagen, someone please prove me wrong.

Living as a Local:
       Of course I’m still a student here and must do student things like study in the Studenthuset café. Drink a little more coffee than usual and catch the crammed 6a bus every morning. I almost got hit by a bike like 3 times in one day. Tell me why that is low for some people. I also managed to make friends with a group of three local guys heading to the part of town called the meat packing district, Meat City to the locals.The Story goes… the three were walking down the street making beats with their mouth together  and they let my friend Jerry and  a OHSO J Wiley  freestyle on the corner with them for 20 minutes.  I always get extra excited when I experience music with people. You make it hip hop and add the fresh approach to jamming out with three random musicians in the streets at 3am and I have nothing else to call it but an O.H.S.O. experience. So that is what the world of Jeremy Wiles in København consists of.  Good food, great places and even cooler people.