Friday, February 8, 2013

Jeremy Wiles Study Abroad in Denmark!


This spring we'll be bringing you posts from a few Pioneers that are studying abroad this semester.  Linebacker Jeremy Wiles '14 is currently in Copenhagen, Denmark and this is his first installation:
Skøl, Undskyld, and tak. Cheers, excuse me, and thank you have been two words that have been very useful in navigating Denmark. Part of my experience thus far has been spent out and about , getting lost  in the city and finding myself physically and mentally. More times than not, surrounded by warm hearted people who are curious to learn about American culture just as much as I am searching to learn about the Danish way of life. Before I dive into all the interesting characteristics of life abroad, I guess it only makes sense to reveal the resource that allows me to study and live in Copenhagen, Denmark.
          My program is called the Danish Institute for Study Abroad  or  DIS  for short. This semester DIS has taken about 997 students from various  colleges and universities from the states. 18 students from Grinnell and just about  7 student athletes within the Grinnellian group.
          My lastest experience during the week of Feb 4-8, took my Global Economics program across  Denmark to the mainland  (Jutland) to experience Viking history at the Jelling Stones Historical Site and the Aros Museum of fine art in Arhus, Denmark. Besides navigating through castles, museums and exhibits much of my traveling has consisted of visiting Suzlon Wind Turbine Company, a dairy manufacture, and Tom’s Chocolate Factory. Yes, that is right, a chocolate factory. Free samples rock but there were no little people with orange faces, just Danes.  
          When I’m not in class, taking tours in museums and or working out at Fitness.dk you can catch me at cafes, bars and clubs that offer some of the nightlife and food options that are pretty exciting and worthwhile. I have met more people named Jeremy in three weeks in Copenhagen, than my first 20 years of life but I am still the coolest one. This is subject to change. Just  Kidding. But besides meeting people named Jeremy- cafes, bars and nightclubs have been key places to immerse oneself  into Danish people and culture.
         Within some of these fine establishments, don’t be surprised when an average middle aged Local inquires about your political, economical, and cultural viewpoints regarding life in the States. My first cab ride from the airport consisted of my viewpoint on Obamacare and the current state of Health care services in the United States. Was a long ride but I digg (appreciate) the willingness to enter into a dialogue. They say Danes do not believe in small talk, so it is pretty common to dive into serious topics without conversations being too taboo or uncomfortable.  
         Its been 3 weeks or so and my highlights thus far have been having professors that double as professional business people and entrepreneurs; the occasional brew during or in between meals and the instant coolness factor that comes from being from California in a foreign place. It is quite interesting how media has constructed a stereotype of Americans that is much relied on here by locals. Not every stereotype is positive so I just smile often and that seems to make friends.  You add a few Skøls (cheers) and Undskyld (Excuse Me) here and there, with a bunch of taks (Thank you) and you have an experience of a life time that I like to call:  Originality Having Successful Outcomes in Danmark.
Peace to you from the OHSO Lifer Grinnell Pioneer,
Jeremy