Friday, November 20, 2009

Coach's Profiles: Dave Arseneault

Throughout the season we profiled each of our 14 senior players and now that we've entered the off-season, it's time to meet each member of our coaching staff. We'll spotlight one coach each week leading up until Christmas, proceeding, as we did with the seniors, in alphabetical order.

Leading off, is defensive assistant Dave Arseneault!


Name: Dave Arseneault
Hometown: Grinnell, IA
Alma Mater: I graduated from Grinnell College in 2009. I majored in Economics.
Family: Father - Dave, Mother - Ellie, Sister - Jennie (21)
Position/Title at Grinnell: Assistant Football and Assistant Basketball Coach

What brought you to Grinnell?
My father is the head men's basketball coach here at Grinnell.

What do you enjoy about coaching at Grinnell?
I really enjoy the type of players I get to work with on a daily basis. The kids we have at Grinnell are smart, respectful, and extremely hard working.

What is your favorite memory here at Grinnell?
Being a part of two Midwest Conference Championship basketball teams during my four year career.

Why did you choose your alma mater? What drew you there?
A couple of things... The academics. Grinnell is one of the best liberal arts schools in the country and I believe the school has fully prepared me for anything I choose to do in the future. I was also very impressed with the athletic department and the athletic facilities. The coaches are friendly and care about their players, and the athletic facilities at Grinnell are incredible. Come check it out if you don't believe me!

How would you describe yourself as a coach?
I'm in an interesting position because I went to school with a lot of the players on the team. I think this really helps me communicate with the guys because I can relate to the academic/athletic experience they're having at Grinnell. I also love getting to know the guys as students and people, as well as getting to know them as football players.

Favorite movie: Anchorman

Favorite book: Harry Potter Series and anything written by Bill Simmons "the Sports Guy"

Favorite food(s): Buffalo Wings

Favorite travel location: University of Iowa's Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City... Go Hawks!

Hobbies and Interests: Working out, reading, fantasy basketball and football

List at least one random or interesting fact about you: I'm a dual citizen (Canada and the U.S.) and I was invited to tryout for the Canadian National Basketball team after my freshman year of college.